Castiglione was founded as the Roman town. During the Middle Ages became a possession of the Marquis of Saluzzo, who erected an imposing quadrangular fortress on the hill. Become a possession of several families of feudal lords Aleramici, Castiglione passed, the fall of the Marquis of Saluzzo Gabriel, to France, who kept it until 1601 when, with the Treaty of Lyons, Castiglione became a possession of Savoy in the Langhe. Since then, the country remained in Piedmont of the House of Savoy until the unification of Italy.

The name Falletto was added to the name of Castiglione in 1589, for the ongoing secular possession of the fief of Castiglione from the illustrious and ancient family of Falletti Alba, builders of the castle. The lawyer and judge Felice Francesco Vassallo, born in Dogliani, acquired by Giambattista Falletti some points of jurisdiction of Castiglione Falletto and was invested with the title stately 2 April 1680 and again July 30, 1686.